Yield: 2 dozen small cookies
1 ½ c whole-wheat pastry flour or barley flour
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ t ground ginger
1 t ground cinnamon
¼ t ground cloves
¼ t ground nutmeg
½ c baby-food prunes or applesauce
1 T peeled, finely chopped fresh ginger
½ c packed brown sugar
¼ c unsulphered molasses
1 t baking soda dissolved in 1 ¼ t boiling water
¼ c granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Put flour, cocoa, and spices into a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Put prunes and ginger into bowl of electric mixer and blend on medium speed until well-mixed. Add brown sugar; mix until combined. Add molasses; mix until combined.
4. Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with baking soda mixture.
5. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water.
6. Transfer dough to a piece of plastic wrap and pat to a 1-inch thickness. Refrigerate until firm.
7. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 ½-inch balls, then roll balls in granulated sugar. Space balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until surfaces crack slightly. Cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Note: To make cupcakes, increase applesauce or prunes to 1 cup, put dough in small cupcake tins and bake as above.
GO! Foods for You
is not just another diet! It's about learning how to cook and eat for a longer and healthier life. Our guided, online program provides an eating assessment, weekly lessons and demos, customizable activities and daily encouragement. Learn more about GO! Foods for You
*Note: the photo displayed is representational only and does not show this exact recipe.