Yield: 6 burgers
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 ounce can tomatoes with zesty mild chilies
1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup cilantro or parsley
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Process first seven ingredients in a food processor until blended.
3. Add to oats and stir.
4. Form into patties, put on a baking sheet, and bake for 8 minutes.
5. Turn oven up and broil about 2 more minutes, until tops are nicely browned. (You can also "fry" the burgers in a nonstick pan until both sides are browned, or grill on the barbecue.)
6. Serve on whole-grain burger buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, ketchup, or no-tahini hummus.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: (6 servings): 180 calories, 2.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 32 g total carbohydrate, 6 g dietary fiber, 4 g sugars, 7 g protein
GO! Foods for You
is not just another diet! It's about learning how to cook and eat for a longer and healthier life. Our guided, online program provides an eating assessment, weekly lessons and demos, customizable activities and daily encouragement. Learn more about GO! Foods for You
*Note: the photo displayed is representational only and does not show this exact recipe.