Yield: 4-6 servings
1 leek, thinly sliced, white part only
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups (about 3.5 ounces) fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms, sliced (soak dried shiitakes in warm water for 30 minutes before slicing)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups dried lentils 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and diced (it is fine to use the skin)
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh basil
Pepper, to taste
1. In a large soup pot, stir-fry leek, garlic, and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, until leeks are soft.
2. Stir in broth, water, lentils, sweet potato, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat, then simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes, until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft.
4. Remove bay leaf and puree 2 cups of soup until smooth (or use an immersion blender); return to pot and stir in basil and pepper to taste,
5. Serve as is or over brown rice with a salad.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: (1 1/2 cups), 290 calories, 15 calories from fat, 1.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 54 g total carbohydrate, 13 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar, 16 g protein
*Note: The photo displayed is representational only and does not show this exact recipe.