Serve this decadent-tasting chocolate cake at any dinner party or as a sweet treat to share with a friend. With 70% dark chocolate and extra virgin olive oil, you can feel good about eating a cake with heart-health benefits. Just remember to slow down, savor the rich flavor and enjoy being in the moment.
1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (at least 70% cocoa) 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup superfine sugar
5 large eggs, separated
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pint fresh raspberries (8 ounces)
1. To make the Cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with a round of oiled wax paper. Place the almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Stir in the olive oil and allow the chocolate to cool.
3. Beat the egg yolks and 1/8 cup of the sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer at high speed, until thick. Reduce the speed to low and add the chocolate mixture. Fold in the almonds. Wash and dry the beaters.
4. Beat the egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the remaining sugar (1/8 cup) and continue to beat until stiff. Fold the egg whites into chocolate batter, pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Use a thin knife to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Invert the cake onto a rack and cool completely.
5. To make the Glaze: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Stir the olive oil into the chocolate, remove from the heat, and allow the glaze to cool for 15 minutes, or just until it begins to thicken. Pour the glaze over the cake, using a small spatula to evenly coat the sides. Allow the glaze to set. Transfer the cake to a serving plate. Garnish each slice with a few fresh raspberries.
Nutrition Info Per Serving (1/12 of the cake): 310 calories (210 calories from fat), 23 g total fat (6 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 14 g sugar, 7 g protein
*Note: The photo displayed is representational only and does not show this exact recipe.