Enjoy this easy-to-make (and eat!) hummus at your next party or family gathering. The grilled onions add extra flavor and make this a dangerously good dip for cut veggies, whole wheat pita or atop a fresh salad.
Adapted from Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton
1. Coat onion slices lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
2. Spread on grill and cook 7-10 minutes; flip and cook approximately 5 more minutes until softening and beginning to caramelize.
3. Combine chickpeas, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, parsley, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon water in food processor; puree until smooth.
4. Add grilled onions and continue to process until smooth.
5. Add extra water if necessary to thin.
Nutrition Info Per Serving: (1/3 cup): 190 calories, 11 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 17 g total carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 4 g sugars, 7 g protein
GO! Foods for You
is not just another diet! It's about learning how to cook and eat for a longer and healthier life. Our guided, online program provides an eating assessment, weekly lessons and demos, customizable activities and daily encouragement. Learn more about GO! Foods for You
*Note: The photo displayed is representational only and does not show this exact recipe.