6 Ways to Stay Cool This Summer
Did you know that 2015 was the hottest year on record? And we’re talking about record keeping that dates back to the 1880s! More than 90 percent of American cities and other locations around the globe had a warmer-than-average year, with temperatures peaking in the summer months in the Northern Hemisphere. As we head into this summer, which scientists suspect might also be record-breaking, you may already be dreading the scorching days to come. Beyond using your air conditioner, what else can you do to survive the heat? Here, six ways to stay cool this summer:
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored cotton and linen clothing.
- Chill your pulse points – wrists, back of neck, forehead, and temples – by cooling them with an ice cube or a cold compress.
- Choose the right mattress: Some memory foam mattresses, such as those made with petrochemicals, create hot zones, but natural memory foam, such as those made by Stay Well™, “sleeps cool,” which means a cooler, more comfortable night’s rest.
- Eat smaller meals. The more you eat, the more heat you generate, since metabolic processes in the body generate heat.
- Stay hydrated with plenty of water as well as fruits and vegetables with high water content. When you’re dehydrated, your body doesn’t have enough water to make sweat, and the job of sweat is to cool you down.
- Consider using an interior fan along with your air conditioner to spread the cooled air through your home.
1061 days 12 min ago